The greatest free activity in Wellington! I left Te Papa Museum content with the knowledge of how far the world has come over the last 100 hundred years. If you're travelling with kids, this is a great way to keep them entertained for a few hours for no money! They'll also learn a thing or two at the same time!
The Museum explores everything from Maori and European settlement and integration, World War history, the progression of gay rights, the emergence of the Rock n Roll era, New Zealand’s role within the Commonwealth, Art, Giant Squids, Migration, Wildlife & the opportunity for you to experience what it feels like during an earthquake.
You'll need at least 3 hours to explore the museum and make the most of the interactive activities; you can learn to play the Ukulele, watch 3D videos of the Maori journey to New Zealand by Waka, learn to draw Maori art & much more.
Cool Things To Do at Te Papa Museum
- Walk through a traditional Maori meeting house (Marae).
- Make a song with a little help from a friend. My friend played the guitar and I played the drums on a sound board, so much fun.
- Get your name in a 1980s paper opposing Apartheid.
- See a Giant Squid.
- Learn about the history of execution laws and some chilling murders that took place within New Zealand.
- Discover that in the early 1900s you could have migrated to New Zealand for free, if you were a female under the age of 40 and could speak English.
- Find out how big the extinct Moa Bird used to be – I am kind of glad that these huge emu like birds no longer walk the earth.
- Walk on a giant interactive map of New Zealand.
- Find an entire exhibition on bugs.
- Learn that trampers used to build their own huts and used nothing but a compass to navigate. New Zealand has always been a popular place for tramping and trampers. (Check out the 9 NZ Great Walks).
- Experience an earthquake.
- Find old posters opposing the Vietnam War.
- Learn how Rugby brought a nation together.
For information on how to visit the museum in Wellington, just chat to the reception staff at your Wellington accommodation.