If you are heading up the East Coast of Australia then it's likely that you have already heard the tales of Australia's only beachfront bar.
Magnetic Island is a tropical oasis located in between Airlie Beach and Cairns. The island can be accessed by Ferry which departs from Townsville.
If you are travelling with Greyhound - the bus will drop you off and pick you up at the Townsville Ferry Terminal. If you are travelling with Premier you can catch a quick public bus from to ferry terminal from the Premier drop off. By Car or Campervan? Parking is cheap at the marina.
What To Do On Magnetic Island?
- Go for a hike at the Forts and try to spot a wild koala
- Feed the Rock Wallabies at sunset
- Get wet with a horse as you ride along the beach
- Watch the Wednesday night toad races at Arcadia Hotel
- Rent a Topless car and explore the island
- Go to the Koala Sanctuary and have your picture taken with a koala
- Snorkel beautiful Florence Bay or Arthur Bay
- Rent a 4WD and venture to Radical Bay or watch the sunset at West Point
- Try SCUBA Diving with the crew at Magnetic Dive
- Check out the local markets in Arcadia every Friday night.
We recommend at least 2 nights to chill on Magnetic Island (or Maggie as the Queenslanders like to call it). Base Backpackers offers beach front accommodation at Horseshoe Bay. The hostel offers 'Cheap Deal Packages' that include your accommodation, ferry tickets, snorkel hire, a drink and meal options. All you have to do is jump on the ferry from Townsville, pay $2 for the public bus on the other side which will drop you off at Base and relax.
Camping, Teepees, Dorm Rooms, Female Only Dorms and Private Beach Front Bungalows are all available.
What Can I Do at Base Magnetic Island?
If you like to party - Base Magnetic Island is the place to be. If you don't like to party - Base Magnetic Island is still the place to be. The hostel offers a little something for everyone - a Kitchen for those wanting to whip up some noodles or a cook that can hook you up with breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The bar opens early if cocktails by the pool is your thing and there's nightly entertainment: Trivia, Bingo, Dress Up Parties & More. Scuba Diving is on offer as well as snorkel hire. The pool and sundeck overlooks the beach and the views are stunning!
What is this Beach Party you speak of?
Yeww! Australia's very own Island Life Beach Festival is held at Base Magnetic Island every month. Expect to see an epic DJ line up, loads of fluro paint, half naked peeps, buckets & all round craziness. We recommend booking tickets for the New Years Eve Party if paying hundreds in Sydney is not really your cup of tea.