On a budget? Not to worry, we've got some tips on what to do in Melbourne for absolutely no cash!
- City Circle Tram. FREE and a great way to explore the city centre. The historic red tram will take you on a city loop past Flinders St Station, St Pauls Cathedral, the Docklands, Etihad Stadium, State Library, Carlton Gardens & more.
- Free City Walking Tour. Tours depart daily at 10:30AM & 2:30PM from the Sir Redmond Barry Statue at the State Library of Victoria. No bookings needed. You just need to show up and look for a guide in a bright green T Shirt. The tour will guide you through all that Melbourne has to offer – the arts, laneways, graffiti, history, architecture, gardens & more!
- Brighton Beach. If you are staying in St Kilda make sure you go for a walk down to Brighton Beach. If you are in the city centre you will need to catch a 10 minute tram to St Kilda (OK so it may not be free)! Brighton Beach is home to Melbourne’s rich and famous. Follow the walking trail along the beach and soon you will reach the famous & colourful Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes. From here you will see a car park which provides a great vantage point for amazing photos of the city centre. If walking is not your thing - you will find 51 Melbourne Bike Share stations located around the city and surrounds and you can hire a bike from just $2.90 a day.
- Queen Victoria Markets. Cheap food, quirky souvenirs, clothing, jewellery and did we mention food? Food from all over the world! Many stalls will offer free tasting platters
- Markets. St Kilda Market for arts & crafts, South Melbourne Market for cheap food, clothing & souvenirs & Prahran Market for free international food tastings and quirky arts, clothing & crafts
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI). Located in Federation Square, ACMI is home to all things film and television with different exhibitions (Tim Burton & Dreamworks are 2 of many) each week. In Federation Square you will also find the Ian Potter Gallery of Australian Art
- Royal Botanic Gardens are located in the heart of Melbourne City. The gardens are stunning with beautiful views of the city. If you are there in summer – check out the Moonlight Cinema
- Eat for Free at Lentil as Anything. You could – but you’d feel guilty! These restaurants are run by homeless people and volunteers – the meals are amazing and rely on a donation bases. You will find them in St Kilda or Footscray
- Free Wi-Fi hot spots: Federation Square, Flinders St Station, City Library, State Library of Victoria, Queen Victoria Building, Melbourne Airport, Melbourne Museum & Melbourne Visitor Centre
Make sure you also check our our guides of free stuff to do in Brisbane or Sydney!
There are also some great FREE or Cheap Events in Australia. Check out our Guide to Australia's Best here.
Need accommodation? Stay at Base!