We love Brisbane and could spend so much time there just shopping, never mind enjoying all of the amazing things to do. However, sometimes the funds get a bit low and you might be between jobs (or Mum might be fed up of topping up your travel funds!) so you need to find ways to spend time but not money... so with that in mind read on for some ideas of places to visit in Brisbane.
What to do in Brisbane for FREE!
- Red City Hopper Ferry. Best way to get a glimpse of Brisbane city – and snap up some amazing photo opportunities! The Red City Hopper ferry is free and will guide you around the city, from Southbank to the Storey Bridge. You can hop on and hop off as you please.
- Southbank Lagoon. Southbank is home its very own man made beach. Yep, that right! A sandy beach lagoon right in the heart of Brisbane city! There are always a number of markets and events taking place at Southbank. Check with the staff at the hostel, they will know what is going on.
- The Jam Sessions. Every Friday the outdoor amphitheatre at Melbourne St Green will host free live music at pop up stalls at Green Jam Sessions. You can pull up a deck chair under the stars, grab a beer from the pop up bar and listen to some music - every Friday from 5:30PM.
- Fortitude Valley. Great for a night out! Fortitude Valley gives Brisbane its creative and alternative edge. Check out the Markets, Boutique Shops, Bars, Live Music & Chinatown.
- Museum of Modern Art. Free Entry. Part of the Queensland Art Gallery. Head down to Southbank and check out the many art exhibitions including film, cinema, sculptures, digital media & more - great on a rainy day (or if you are nursing a hangover)!
- Eat Street Markets. Eat Street Markets in Eagle Farm is our favourite. The stalls are set up in shipping containers and you will find anything and everything here! Open Friday evening, Saturday & Sunday all year round. Expect to find cheap food, live entertainment and loads of quirky little local shops to browse through.
- West End. Where the cool kids hang! West End is Brisbane’s cultural hub with a bustling art scene, international food stores, second hand and vintage shops, quirky bars & weekend markets. The Boundary Street Markets in West End are one of our favourite things to do in Brissie and are on every Friday night from 5:00PM to 10:00PM all year round!
- Queensland Museum. Did you know Queensland once housed its own Dinosaur? You will find all sorts of at the Queensland Museum including Aboriginal history and culture. There is always a range of free exhibits taking place all year round and it's a great place to learn a little bit about Brisbane's history.
- Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens. The gardens are just a 15 minute bus journey from Brisbane CBD and home to acres of sub tropical gardens. Chill out for the day, have a BBQ and make sure that you take the walk to the top of Mt Cootha for stunning views of Brisbane.
- Free Films at the State Library. On most Sundays you will be able to catch a free film showing at the National State Library.
- Southbank Market. International Food, Fashion, Art & Entertainment. Brisbane's Southbank Markets are open every Friday night, all year round from 5:00PM - 10:00PM and is a great spot to watch the sun set over Brisbane River whilst indulging in a cheap food stall treat!
- Free Wi – Fi Spots: Gallery of Modern Art & National State Library
We also have guides for how to explore Melbourne or Sydney Free!
There are also some great FREE or Cheap Events in Australia. Check out our Guide to Australia's Best here.
Need accommodation? Stay at Base Uptown or Base Embassy!