Summer in Australia is home to more than just BBQs, Thongs & Eskies! With the longer days and warmer months come the Night Markets – live music, cheap food stalls, jewellery, fashion and a all round good night out! Here’s a guide to our favourite Night Markets on Australia’s East Coast.
Melbourne Night Noodle Markets
- Where: Birrarung Marr (near Federation Square), Melbourne City
- When: 10th - 30th November 2016
- Time: Mon-Tue 5pm-9pm, Wed-Thurs 5pm-10pm, Fridays 5pm-11pm, Saturdays 4pm-10pm, Sundays 4pm - 9pm
With dishes from $5 - $15 and over 50 Asian food stalls to choose from – you will find yummy food from Korea, Vietnam, China and India to Malaysia, Burma and Nepal. Grab some noodles, a beer or coffee and chill to the sounds of Melbourne’s DJs. Entry is FREE!
St Kilda Night Market
- Where: In the park next to Luna Park, St Kilda, Melbourne
- When: Every Thursday night, 1st December - 23rd February 2016/17.
- Time: Dusk onwards
When the sun goes down – the St Kilda-ites come out to play! Expect international food stalls, live music and boutique clothing pop up stores. The magic really happens as the sun goes down – expect fire twirlers, drum circles and hula hoops. Entry is FREE!
More info: http://stkildatwilightmarket.com/
Queen Victoria Summer Night Market
- Where? Queen Victoria Markets, Melbourne City
- When? Every Wednesday night. 16th November - January 2016/17
It’s a party in the city streets of Melbourne! Live music. Mini music festivals. Outdoor beer gardens. Cheap international food stalls. Live performers. Sangria. Souvenirs. Clothing & too many flavoured teas to choose from. Entry is FREE!
More info: http://www.thenightmarket.com.au/
South Melbourne Night Markets
- Where: In the market shed, Coventry & Cecil Streets, South Melbourne
- When: Every Thursday night 5th January – 23rd February 2017
- Time: 5:30PM onwards
South Melbourne can be reached by the 96 Tram and is located halfway between Melbourne city and St Kilda. Expect live music, food stalls, clothing and an all round great buzz! Entry is FREE!
Sydney Night Noodle Market
- Where: Hyde Park, Sydney City
- When? Every night 6th - 23rd October 2016
- Time: Mon – Tue 5pm – 9pm, Wednesday 5pm – 10pm, Thursday - Fri 5pm – 11pm, Saturday 4pm-10pm, Sunday 4pm – 9pm
Over 50 Asian Food stalls in the centre of Sydney City! This outdoor festival features outdoor lighting exhibitions along with Dumplings, Music and pop up Beer Gardens & more! A must visit! Especially for those poor backpacker bellies! Entry is FREE!
Chinatown Night Market
- Where: Dixon Street, Chinatown, Haymarket, Sydney City
- When: Every Friday night throughout the year
- Time: 4:00PM – 11:00PM
Cheap Asian inspired eats, lanterns, lights, colour, and smells... everything you’d expect from a market smack bang in the middle of Sydney’s Chinatown!
More info: www.chinatownmarkets.com.au
Brisbane Southbank Night Market
- Where: Southbank Brisbane (near the outdoor lagoon)
- When: Every Friday Night (also open 11:00AM - 5:00PM Saturdays & 9:00AM - 5:00PM Sundays)
- Time: 5:00PM – 10:00PM
Fireworks display, jewellery, clothing, cheap eats, buskers, tarot reading, music & more! Entry is FREE!
Eat Street Markets
- Where: Hamilton Wharf, Northshore, Brisbane
- When: Every Friday, Saturday & Sunday; Fri – Sat – 4:00PM to 10:00PM, Sun – 10:00AM to 7:00PM
Open Air Cinemas, Live Music, Gigs, Yummy international foods and more plus on Friday nights only – 50 shipping tins will be transformed into 50 different Asian food restaurants! Entry is FREE!
More info: www.eatstreetmarkets.com/
Byron Bay Artisan Night Market
- Where: Railway Park, Jonson Street, Byron Bay
- When: Every Saturday night from the 8th October 2016 - March 2017 (also open Friday nights throughout January 2016)
- Time: 4:00PM – 9:00PM
Arts, Crafts, home-made jewellery, clothing, leather goods, live local music, food stalls and pop up bars – all with the Byron atmosphere! Entry is FREE!
Airlie Beach Community Markets
- Where: On the waterfront
- When: Every Saturday 7:00AM – 1:00PM.
Ok so this is not a night market – but we love Airlie Beach so much that it would be rude not to include this little touch of paradise. Great for souvenirs!
Cairns Night Market
- Where: 71-75 The Esplanade
- When: daily 5.00pm - 11.00pm
One of the best markets in Australia to get souvenirs and drumroll... a Thai or Chinese massage (we are talking $30 per hour)! Here you will find food, clothes, jewellery and everything Aussie!
More info: nightmarkets.com.au
Keen to check out these night markets? Book your stay at Base Backpackers in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Byron Bay, Airlie Beach & Cairns!
You may also like our Guide to Australia's Best Free & Cheap Events here!