Australia. The land of sun, nature and endless stretches of surf beach. The very fact that the entire country is surrounded by ocean, reef and thousands of islands makes for a pretty epic backpacking destination. Travelling inland from the sea will have you stumble upon National Parks, Rainforests and the mighty Outback. The weather is great for most months of the year and getting around as a traveller is easy. There's a little something for every kind of backpacker, from parties to secluded beaches, from unique animals to endless swimming spots and of course, the laidback locals. Here's a few reasons why we think Australia is BEST backpacking destination in the world.
1. The very existence of Goon ensures that you can drink every single day and still keep within your budget
2. There are 11,000 beaches to choose from!
3. You have over 500 National Parks in Australia to explore
4. You can Snorkel or Scuba Dive in the world's largest living organism - the Great Barrier Reef
5. And snorkel alongside the gigantic Whale Sharks in Ningaloo Reef
6. Or the playful Sea Lions in Port Lincoln
7. It is home to Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday Islands, which is continuously voted in the Top 10 World's Best Beaches lists
8. You can climb the highest rock in the world in Western Australia - Mt Augustus
9. You can eat Avocados every day, with almost everything and not get frowned upon
10. You can drink everyday of the week, at anytime of the day and not get frowned upon
11. You can eat the country's national emblems and not get frowned upon - the Emu & Kangaroo
12. Each State has a unique landscape
13. Even if you travelled the entire length of Australia's East Coast, you still have the entire Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania to explore
14. You can find $4.95 Dominos pizza in most parts of Australia
15. Australia's major cities have some of the best Rooftop and Outdoor Beer Gardens in the world (check out our Top 40 summer bars here)
16. If you were to visit a new Australian beach every day - it would take you 27 years to see them all
17. Don't forget to visit Hyam's Beach in NSW - with the world's whitest sand
18. Although boring, you can visit the world's oldest living organism in Western Australia - the Stromatolites
19. And did you know that Western Australia has a bright Pink Lake?
20. You can get a selfie with some of the strangest and unique animals in the world - the Kangaroo, Emu, Koala, Echidna, Quokka and the Platypus - just to name a few!
21. & You can visit Australia's BIG Things - the BIG Banana, the BIG Koala, the BIG Bogan - the list goes on!
22. You can wear Thongs "flip flops" in the northern parts of Australia almost all year round
24. Tim Tams
26. Did we mention Goon?
27. Australia is surrounded by 8,022 islands
28. Including the world's largest sand island - Fraser Island
29. There are so many unique places to see...
30. Such as a gigantic Salt Lake in the Outback - Lake Eyre
31. And the gigantic waterfalls of Kakadu and Litchfield National Park south of Darwin
32. And the Great Ocean Road's 12 Apostles
33. And the Sydney Opera House
34. And the very eerie Pinnacle Desert in Western Australia
35. You can swim alongside Crocodiles at Darwin's Crocosaurus Cove
36. It's the ultimate road tripping destination
37. You can stay in the world's most liveable city - Melbourne
38. And the world's most friendliest city - Sydney
39. You can tick off 19 UNESCO World Heritage Listed sites
40. And chill out in Tasmania which has the world's cleanest air
Fancy coming to Australia?
- Get yourself a Base Jumping Pass for discounted accommodation around Australia.
- Or check out some of our comprehensive travel guides, like our full backpackers guide to travelling Australia, click here.
- Check out our Aussie Night Market Guide here.
- Or find out about the best Free Events in Australia here.